Minnesota Wrestling State Tournament
When: March 3rd-5th, 2011
Where: Xcel Energy Center, St. Paul
All three of the 2010 team champions return to defend their respective titles: the Jackson County Central Huskies in Class A; the Simley Spartans in Class AA; and the Apple Valley Eagles in Class AAA. Jackson County Central is looking for its second consecutive title, Simley of Inver Grove Heights is looking for its fourth consecutive title, and Apple Valley is seeking its sixth consecutive title.
All of this year’s qualifying teams have previous tournament experience. Monticello, Hopkins, and White Bear Lake Area are both making their second appearances, while Apple Valley is making its 29th consecutive appearance and its 30th overall.
State Tournament Brackets
In the individual competition, 21 champions return for more gold medals — nine in Class AAA, six in Class AA, and six in Class A.
The 2011 State Wrestling Tournament opens Thursday, March 3, and runs through Saturday, March 5, at Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul. The new three-day format features all of the team dual competition on Thursday, followed by exclusive individual competition Friday and Saturday.
This is the third year that the teams have been seeded. The 16 coaches of the section champions logged onto a special page of the League Web site and each coach ranked the other teams one through seven. The highest and lowest rankings for each team were discarded, leaving five rankings for each team. From those rankings, the top four seeds were selected. In conference calls with all eight head coaches of each class, League Associate Director and Tournament Director Craig Perry announced the top four seeds and then conducted a blind draw of the four remaining teams to establish the opponent for the seeded teams.
Thursday, March 3, 2011: Team State Tournament
Session 1: (9:00 am – 3:00 pm) (8 mats)
- 9:00 am – Class A & AA Team Quarterfinals
- 11:00 am – Class AAA Team Quarterfinals
- 11:00 am – Class A & AA Team Consolation Semifinals
- 1:00 pm – Class A, AA, AAA Team Championship Semifinals
- 1:00 pm – Class AAA Team Consolation Semifinals
Session 2: (5:00 – 9:30 pm) (6 mats, then 3 mats)
- 5:00 pm – Class A, AA, AAA Team Consolation Final
- 5:00 pm – Class A, AA, AAA Team Third Place
- 7:00 pm – Class A, AA, AAA Team Championship
- Awards following matches
Friday, March 4, 2011: Individual Tournament
Session 3: (9:00 am – 3:00 pm) (8 mats)
- 9:00 am • Class A Individual First Round
- 11:00 am • Class AA Individual First Round
- 1:00 pm • Class AAA Individual First Round
Session 4: (5:00 pm – 10:00 pm) (8 mats)
- 5:00 pm – Class A Individual Championship Quarterfinals
- 6:00 pm – Class AA Individual Championship Quarterfinals
- 7:00 pm – Class AAA Individual Championship Quarterfinals
- 8:00 pm – Class A, AA, AAA Wrestlebacks
Saturday, March 5, 2011: Individual Tournament
Session 5: (10:00 am – 3:00 pm) (8 mats)
- 10:00 am – Class A, AA, AAA Individual Consolation Quarterfinals
- 11:15 am – Class A, AA, AAA Individual Championship Semifinals
- 1:15 pm – Class A, AA, AAA Individual Consolation Semifinals
Session 6: (5:00 pm – 9:30 pm) (6 mats, then 3 mats)
- 5:00 pm – A, AA, AAA Individual 3rd and 5th Place
- 7:30 pm – A, AA, AAA Individual Championships
- Awards following matches