What could go down as 2011′s “Match of the Year” came right down to the end as St. Ed’s Anthony Stanley (103) scored a takedown in the final match with less than 10 seconds in overtime giving his team the victory, 27-25.
Each team won 7 matches Saturday night, with two of Graham’s wins coming in overtime. St. Paris Graham (OH) was leading 25-17 with three more matches to wrestle, but lost all three — the last one in overtime — giving St. Edward (OH) the win.
St. Edward got a decision at 215 pounds and a major decision at 285 to come within one point, 25-24. This set up the final match of the dual at 103 lbs. SPG Falcons sophomore Chase Crabtree got the first takedown and was still up 2-1 after two periods despite a penalty point that made normally-mild mannered Graham Jeff Jordan livid. They ended the 3rd period tied 3-3, but Anthony Stanley then scored a takedown with less than 10 seconds left for the Match Victory.
Watch the final deciding match, Anthony Stanley (St. Ed’s) vs. Chase Crabtree (SPG).
“There were a couple of opportunities we had where we could have scored some more points, and we hate to lose. But this was a great dual meet,” said Jeff Jordan, St. Paris Graham’s head coach. “We knew it was going to be coming in, and it can’t get more exciting than this (OT in the night’s final match).
“We have no excuses,” he continued. “Not having Isaac Jordan (returning state champ) at 160 really hurts. But we knew it was going to come down to 103 and we just didn’t get it done.”
“It has not been this close for a long time,” said Jordan. “We gave up too many points at 125 and 130 and could have gotten more at 145 and 189. Those bonus points always make a difference in a match like this.”
(112) Taylor (SPG) def. Bright (SE) 4-2 in OT
(119) Heil (SE) def. M. Jordan (SPG) 5-0
(125) Scheidel (SE) def. Henkle (SPG) 8-0
(130) Heffernan (SE) def. Thomas (SPG) 14-0
(135) Garrison (SPG) def. Barber (SE) 11-4
(140) Brascetta (SPG) pin Rauber (SE) 4:40
(145) B. Jordan (SPG) def. VanCurran (SE) 17-7
(152) Stephens (SPG) def. Martin (SE) 2-1
(160) Abounader (SE) pin Mannier (SPG) 1:42
(171) Ryan (SPG) def. Davis (SE) 4-3
(189) Evans (SPG) def. Suvak (SE) 8-3
(215) Walz (SE) def. Meyer (SPG) 7-4
(HWT) Kuhar (SE) def. Bovey (SPG) 11-3
(103) Stanley (SE) def. Crabtree (SPG) 5-3 in OT